Cummington Seal
Cummington
Official Town Web Site
Cummington

Search The Site

Make Tax Payments

Official Notices

Town of Cummington Seeking Bids

Posted on 07/18/19

 

The Town of Cummington seeks sealed bids for the following equipment with or without operator, to be on call from July 1, 2019 through June 2020.

Large excavator --9-12 ton

10 wheel or tri-axle dump truck

Bulldozer

Backhoes

Bucket loader

Rubber tired excavator

Chippers

Rake and broom tractor

Seeding ...

read more...

Updated Treasurer/Tax Collector Hours for July and August

Posted on 07/18/19

Updated Treasurer/Tax Collector hours for July and August as follows:  July 24 two sessions each day - 9:30-11 am and 5-7 pm.  August 1, 6, 15, 21 and 29 two sessions each day 9:30-11 am and 5-7 pm....

read more...

Important Message from the Board of Health

Posted on 06/25/19

Please sort your trash appropriately, and be sure to discard sharps as if your neighbors’ safety depends on it, because it does!  A syringe is not a recyclable plastic. It is not household trash, and it can poke out of a trash bag. Hypodermic needles can be discarded for free ...

read more...

Dog Licenses Available Beginning March 1, 2019

Posted on 06/25/19

Dog Licenses can be processed on Thursday nights 4-8 with the Town Clerk.

 Per our Dog By-laws, old licenses expire March 31 of each year and renewal begins March 1. ...

read more...

Conservation Commission Hearing on 337 Berkshire Trail Continued to Monday, 9/9/19 @ 7 PM

Posted on 04/11/19

The NOI hearing for 337 Berkshire Trail project has again been continued.  The new continuance date is 9/9/19 at 7 PM in the Community House.

 Pursuant to Massachusetts Wetlands Protection Act, Chapter 131, Section 40 MGL  and 310 CMR 10.00, the Cummington Conservation Commission will hold a continuance of  the public ...

read more...
Cummington Pictures

Kingman Tavern

Open
Saturdays
in
July
&
August
2 to 5 pm

41 Main Street, Cummington, MA

No
Admission
Fee

Donations
Appreciated

Most small towns feel fortunate in having a historical museum of two or three rooms. Here in Cummington, the museum is an early 1800's house of seventeen rooms, which was a tavern. There is also a replica of a 1900 country store, a two-story barn, a carriage shed, and an 1840's cider mill.
The 5,000 or more articles that fill these buildings reflect the life that has been lived in this small hilltown over the past two hundred years.

Alice Steele, a nationally known miniaturist, spent her life in this area. She made over 300 miniature rooms, each a work of art.  The seventeen, which are in this museum, all made and given by her, represent rooms or shops that were connected with Cummington. In perfect scale of one inch to one foot, the furnishings are antiques collected over the years, or furniture and other items made by her husband, Frank Steele, a cabinet-maker.  This collection is just one of the treasures of the Kingman Tavern Museum

Minature Rooms

Country Store

The museum was able to acquire the complete fixtures of a Cummington general store that had gone out of business. A new building was constructed around the fixtures using old wood.
The shelves are filled with virtually everything that would have been sold in a country store in 1900-1910.  It also includes letterboxes and windows from early local post offices. A card tacked on the front gives the weather forecast as received by the postmaster each day.
No store would have been complete without the traditional stove, checkerboard, and cracker barrel.

The larger two-story barn has an exceptional collection of hand and farm tools, arranged in categories of use. Jacob Lovell made many of the planes exhibited in Cummington.  The carriage shed has an ox-shoeing frame, a snow roller for roads, a school bus on runners for winter use, an ice cutter, and a butter and egg wagon, all used in Cummington.  The 1840's cider mill with its wooden gears is in working condition except for the press. The wear on the wooden teeth shows the years of use.